There are a number of common causes for tooth loss, nearly all of which are avoidable. With the right hygiene, care and maintenance, you can keep your teeth for your entire lifetime. Here’s what you need to know to keep smiling!
- Don’t use your teeth as tools! Tearing or cutting paper, thread or plastic with your teeth is a recipe for tooth loss.
- Watch for signs of clenching and grinding your teeth while sleeping or stressed. This behavior is also very hard on your teeth, and should be corrected with an appliance and / or stress management tools and therapy.
- Poor oral hygiene contributes to tooth loss more than any other reason. Properly flossing, brushing and rinsing after meals and keeping your checkup exam and teeth cleaning appointments is key to great oral hygiene.
- Diabetes, hypertension and arthritis can all contribute to tooth loss. If you’re living with one of these conditions, make sure to ask us how to keep your teeth and gums as healthy as possible.
- The changing hormones during pregnancy can affect your oral health considerably. Along with your regular pre-natal care, schedule checkup exams and cleanings regularly. Also, be sure to tell us if you could be expecting before any x-rays are taken!