Everyone experiences a dental problem at some point, but you can easily avoid most of the common problems experienced by Americans. Here’s a quick rundown of some of the most common issues and what you can do to avoid them.
- Bad breath: Make sure you’re also brushing the surface of your tongue during your oral hygiene routine, as this is where most odor-causing bacteria lives.
- Gingivitis: Let’s review your family history and see if you’re at risk of gum disease. You should also make sure to floss regularly and keep your teeth cleaning appointments.
- Yellow or discolored teeth: Coffee, tea and red wine are the most common causes of discolored teeth. You can avoid these beverages or use an over-the-counter whitening system to keep your teeth as bright as possible.
- Tooth decay: Tooth decay is the result of sugar and starch residue left on the surfaces and between the teeth. Thorough and consistent flossing, brushing and rinsing helps you avoid cavities.
- Bruxism: Also known as “grinding your teeth,” bruxism can be the result of misaligned teeth, a jaw injury or stress. We can typically diagnose bruxism during your checkup exam and will help you find both the cause and the cure for this common problem.
Prevention is always preferable to treatment, and Livonia Family Dental is happy to be your partner is the goal of holistic dental health.